Sunday, August 25, 2013

Lumbini

Lumbini is the birth place of Gautama Buddha, the founder of Buddhism. Maya Devi , the queen of Shakya King Suddhidhana of Kapilvastu, gave birth to Buddha on her way to her parents home in Devdaha in May in the year 623 B.C. It is said that he walked immediately after his birth and took seven steps, under each of which a lotus flower bloomed and also he had announced that, "this is my final rebirth" after he entered the world.

Buddha, as stated in Mahaparinirvana Sutta, spoke to his followers that, " After I am no more, men of belief will visit four places with faith, curiosity and devotion. Lumbini where I was born, Bodhgaya where I attainred enlightenment, Sarnath where I set motion the wheel of Dhamma and Kusinara whrere I shall pass into Mahaparinivana. Those who make pligrimages to these places will reborn on the dissolution of their bode after death in a heveanly state.So, there four historical places have become worl famaous pilgrimage sites for all Buddhist around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment